the big. the bad. the MEGA. architecture as a global condition.

10.13.2006

the new Black Plague

A brief return to 2-dimensional explores what it actually MEANS when a land is infected by AIDS. Does the clean, uninfected world remain as is, and the infected world become cast over by a shadow? Does the uninfected world turn a blind eye on the populations with AIDS?

The world turns its back on AIDS, as if people with AIDS disappear.
AIDS "eating" the world up until about 1993 (except for South America data).




AIDS nations shown without regard to actual land masses.




Another idea I am going to explore before Monday involves viewing the world as a series of populations, because AIDS affects populations, not land. I believe it will also make a more visually accurate mapping, because in places where AIDS has spread slower, there is also a lower population density, so showing the spread of the infection as shown above is somewhat misleading.

More on this to come Monday, which is why I requested to wait to have a desk crit, so I can get all my ideas constructed...since it took me constructing the above animations to come up with a better way. I need to move forward on my own a little, and still reflect on which type of map would best represent my data. I am struggling to understand what the types of maps even mean.

research...
I found this video of an AIDS cell attacking a cell in the brain. I thought it would be interesting, visually, to animate the spheres in these study animations as cells attacking the populations.

1 comment:

rael said...

wow, i think your latest video showing the disolving continents is great. perhaps after refining this with more precision and completion, you should now think about moving into the 3rd dimension - what data would you use to move in the Z axis?